Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Friday, November 03, 2006

Awards Part 2: NL Gold Gloves

Here are the NL Gold Glove results:

C - Brad Ausmus - Houston Astros (3)
1B - Albert Pujols - St. Louis Cardinals (1)
2B - Orlando Hudson - Arizona Diamondbacks (2)
3B - Scott Rolen - St. Louis Cardinals (7)
SS - Omar Vizquel - San Francisco Giants (11)
OF - Carlos Beltran - New York Mets (1)
OF - Andruw Jones - Atlanta Braves (9)
OF - Mike Cameron - San Diego Padres (3)
P - Greg Maddux - Los Angeles Dodgers (16)

Well, 4 out of 8 is better than 3 out of 8, so I guess I know NL fielders better than AL fielders. Once again I made no pitcher picks. See the original predictions here. A few things - first, how does Juan Pierre, he of the 1.000 fielding percentage (that's a perfect score, for those of you unfamiliar with these things) not win a gold glove? And how can Omar Vizquel still be this good? Ah well - hopefully I'm better on predicting the major awards than I have been so far on the post-season results and with the Gold Gloves. Clearly I'm not a psychic...

4 Comments:

  • At Sat Nov 04, 01:15:00 PM , Blogger Marty said...

    Throw away the Fielding Percentage stat. Juan Pierre's Range Factor was 2.37 compared to Jone's 2.49.

     
  • At Sat Nov 04, 01:59:00 PM , Blogger JST said...

    Where'd you get your RF stats? ESPN has Pierre at 2.42 and Jones at 2.61 - of course, your point is still valid. And, RF was fairly determinative at the position - Beltran led NL outfielders with a 2.81, Cameron was tied for 3rd with a 2.70, and Jones was 5th with 2.61. Pierre was far behind. But if Range Factor is so important, where's the love for Willy Taveres (2.77) or Steve Finley (2.70)?

    As for the other positions (as rated against other players at that position):

    Pujols (1st)
    Hudson (2nd - but he had 450 more innings than #1)
    Rolen (1st)
    Vizquel (9th)
    Ausmus (1st)

    So, RF is important. But - I still think there's a problem here. Juan Pierre made ZERO errors this season. Mike Cameron made 6. Beltran and Jones made 2 each. I guess what I'm saying is that errors matter, and Range Factor doesn't take them into account. Juan Pierre over Mike Cameron, in my mind.

     
  • At Sun Nov 05, 11:14:00 PM , Blogger Marty said...

    There are different RF stats, there is a simple RF, and there is a variation called RF/9

    RF/9 is PO+Assist*9/Innings; those were the stats you quoted. I get my stats at Baseball Reference.com

    As for Willy Taveres and Steve Finley, well, I don't get a ballot.

    As for errors, I think of it differently. To make an error you must be in the right position to make a play, but you can hide a guy (say a former security guard) on some chair that leans against the outfield fence. The guy who sits in the chair may never make an error. He also doesn't make many plays.

     
  • At Mon Nov 06, 12:00:00 AM , Blogger JST said...

    I'll defend Pierre one more time and then call it good - after all, is there a more absurd/meaningless award than Gold Gloves, which are given out on pedigree rather than merit most of the time (exhibit A - Torii Hunter).

    So here goes - Juan Pierre wasn't exactly a security guard. He had more putouts than any other National League outfielders, and was tied with Andruw Jones for most Total Chances. His range factor was low because he played far more innings. One possibility is that Pierre gets bad reads on balls and so doesn't get to as many as he should - but I've never heard this comment about him before, and he's pretty fast so I would think he should be getting to plenty of balls. His career range factor is only 2.47, though, so maybe there's something to this.

    So, for one last time, I'll give you that Range Factor is a useful stat. And I'll admit that Beltran and Jones probably deserved the awards. But looking at Cameron straight up against Pierre, I think Pierre was more deserving of the award.

    And seriously, I'll shut up now.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home