Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Transactions -- Big League & Below

First, thanks to those of you who have commented or e-mailed regarding my previous post. All of your comments have been appreciated, and if you haven't yet weighed in and would like to, please do. If you have no idea what on Earth I'm talking about, scroll down a post.

Now, onto the moves. After today's win, the Twins optioned Brian Buscher back to Rochester and activated Adam Everett (or at least, they'll do so by Friday's game -- same difference either way). I know that many fans already dislike Everett as much as they dislike Punto, but for now I'm willing to buy the story that his injury has caused him to perform badly. We'll see how things go starting in about a week once he's had a chance to get used to playing every day again. We all know that Everett isn't going to hit .300, but .250 sure would be nice.

As for Buscher, this is the move that most everyone expected. A reader suggested a few days ago that Tolbert should be the guy going down because he's essentially redundant while Buscher adds a slightly different skill set. I can understand the argument and don't necessarily disagree with it, but Tolbert is still hitting .300 and I think has earned his place on the team (even if he hasn't exactly been getting a lot of playing time of late). I wish Buscher the best of luck in Rochester, and I'm fairly confident that we haven't seen the last of him this year.

Dipping down a level, the Red Wings have released Outfielder Jon Knott and Catcher Eli Whiteside, and let me just breath a sigh of relief. I never understood having these guys taking up space on a AAA roster. It turns out that Whiteside was essentially just holding a space for Ryan Jorgensen, who was serving out what remained of a 50-game suspension for violating the drug policy. Color me unimpressed by Jorgensen -- he's a career .238 minor league hitter who will turn 29 in a few days. In other words, we switched out one light-hitting veteran catcher for a slightly older and even lighter-hitting veteran catcher. Granted, Whiteside had been miserable this year, but I doubt Jorgensen is going to light the world on fire.

Also, while the Beloit Snappers have also made a few moves over the last few days, the biggest one was the addition of Ben Revere to the roster from extended spring training. So far, he's going 4-for-11 with a couple of RBI's. I'm really excited to see how he performs over the next few weeks as he settles into life in Low A Ball.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At Thu May 01, 06:42:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Toby Gardenhire is now playing at AA New Britain. At least, that's what the boxscores say.

     
  • At Thu May 01, 07:50:00 AM , Blogger JST said...

    He is -- and there have been other moves that I haven't commented on as well (Santos Arias being assigned to the Snappers, for instance). I updated the Organizational Rankings post to reflect that when the move was made, but since he's not exactly a top prospect I decided not to mention it in a main page post.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home