Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Question for the Masses

I received a thought-provoking comment to my most recent blog update, and I wanted to put the question out there for anyone who wanders by and feels like answering. A (previously regular) reader named Brock had this to say:
I have to say that I liked your site a lot more when you just were doing nightly notes and other posts like that. You can get minor league updates from a few other sites like Sethspeaks.not. I found your nightly notes posts very interesting and a good read, however I have almost stopped reading your site since you began doing regular minor league reports.
I don't actually disagree with Brock. The Down on the Farm reports that I put together are very formulaic -- there certainly isn't a lot of my "voice" in them -- but from previous comments and e-mails that I've received, I know that some people like them because they can check in once a week and get an idea of who's playing well. I feel that this is slightly different from Seth's excellent coverage, which is usually more day-to-day and so requires more of a commitment from the reader. The DOTF reports also take a long time to prepare (even in their formulaic format), which certainly does often leave me uninterested in putting together a Nightly Notes column the same night that I put up a DOTF (although that might change once the semester is over and I get more free time -- hard to tell).

So the question is this, for any and all who care to comment -- is there any reason to keep doing these posts? Would it make more sense to provide commentary every two weeks, say, that takes a more qualitative (and hence less numbers-oriented) look at what's been going on in the minor league system? Would something else work even better? I really would like to hear your thoughts on the matter as I take a few days (mostly) off to finish up my work for the semester. Either way, Brock, I do intend to get back to posting regular Nightly Notes columns, so hopefully I haven't yet lost you as a reader.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

  • At Wed Apr 30, 09:35:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I wouldn't say that I dislike the DOTF segments like Brock, but I do often finding myself reading them with less interest than the Nightly Notes.

     
  • At Wed Apr 30, 11:37:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You definitely have not lost me as a reader, I will continue to check your site about once a day it just a matter of that I will only read if it seems like a post that I am interested in. When I read blogs my goal is to hear other people's opinion on something that I care about, not necessarily just what is happening in the minors. So I really support your idea of having a post like every other week with "your voice" more in the post. I really enjoy your writing style and opinions, so I will always continue to check in on your blog.

     
  • At Wed Apr 30, 12:42:00 PM , Blogger Marty said...

    JT-

    If I listened to the suggestions my readers have given me over the years, my website would be nothing but bikini pictures and celebrity gossip.

     
  • At Wed Apr 30, 12:55:00 PM , Blogger JST said...

    Marty -- Thus showing the difference between your readers and mine!

    In all seriousness, though, there are some things where I listen harder than others. This is one area where I'm willing to take a lot of feedback into account, and I'm appreciative of anything readers have to say on this issue.

     
  • At Wed Apr 30, 05:13:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm thankful for your notes and dotf. I think the frequency of your writing (which depends on your busyness) need to shape up the kind of postings that would work for you and the readers (us). For example, if you can only write 3x a week, it makes more sense to write the dotf only every week or even every 2 weeks. Seth provides daily update. Roger gives a weekly update. So, preferably you can give something different. Maybe like a weekly report which gives Top 5 or Top 10 performers for the week. They would then provide the indication of who would be more likely to get promoted in the near future.

    fastclock

     
  • At Wed Apr 30, 08:44:00 PM , Blogger Jeremy said...

    I'll continue to read regardless of what you decide. Personally, I read the DOTF (in addition to Seth's), just to get a different (if only statistical) perspective.

    BTW - Did you see Knott and Whiteside are out?

     
  • At Wed Apr 30, 08:51:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    JT,

    When you started I think in the 2006 season, not too many people had a good handle of the minors. My impression Seth has changed what he writes about and it may overlap what you do now. Now it is sexy to write about the minors because it is so important to the Twins. It like having a coffee shop on every corner.

    I would suggest do what makes you happy and peeks your interest. If I listen to my comments to my show it would be two things ... Show how Aaron G is over the top negative about the Twins and I'm an idiot because I do not sit in front of the computer screen and just read crape.

    You do not need to be an expert to talk about the Twins you just need passion. Maybe the blog should not be for the readers but for yourself.

    Jeff Straub

     
  • At Wed Apr 30, 09:24:00 PM , Blogger Marty said...

    JT-

    I'm offended sir...

    I have the most erudite and..uh...intelligent and...

    uh...hygienic...

    Who am I kidding?

    I hate my readers.

     
  • At Thu May 01, 12:22:00 AM , Blogger neckrolls said...

    It's great to have your insights on the happenings at all levels of the minors. But, if I had to choose, I'd rather have your attention on the Twins games. If something really noteworthy happens in the farm system, by all means, mention it in your notes. Otherwise, it's probably more meaningful for you to visit each minor league team every couple of weeks, when the sample sizes are a little bigger.

     
  • At Thu May 01, 08:50:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm kinda with Brock. I come for your viewpoints on the MLB club, mainly nightly notes. From time to time I read the DOTF reports, but only around once a month.

    Maybe don't cover every player, just some analysis when you think someone is kicking ass (or busting).

     
  • At Thu May 01, 08:55:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i check MILB.com most nights to check in on the twins farm system so usually skip over the reports you do because i already know the info. i would rather see your opinion than a regurgitation of the stats. but keep up the good work!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home