Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Monday, November 13, 2006

$42 million???

UPDATE: Forget about $42 million - the Red Sox bid was actually a staggering $51.1 million. This convinces me more than ever that this bid was not made in good faith, and that Matsuzaka will still be in Japan next year. And if I'm wrong - well - then Theo Epstein and whoever else is running the Red Sox don't deserve to stay employed. Unless, that is, Matsuzaka turns into Cy Young, Part Deux. Here's the original story:


Ok, so I'm sure Daisuke Matsuzaka is a great starting pitcher. His numbers would seem to support that, as he hasn't posted an ERA above 3.00 since 2002, and has ERA's of 2.30 and 2.13 over the past two seasons. He also strikes guys out at a rate of more than 1/inning. So, I fully support his plans to pitch in the United States, where he can face the best baseball players in the world.

However, I seriously question the decision by the Boston Red Sox to place a bid of $42 million just for the right to negotiate with Matsuzaka. He's going to want a contract in that pays him at least $15 million/year, I would assume. That means if the contract is for 3 years, the Red Sox will effectively be paying $30 million/year for Matsuzaka. It's an insane amount of money.

In fact, it's so insane that I don't think Matsuzaka is going to end up in Boston at all. This strikes me very much as a move designed to prevent the Yankees from getting Matsuzaka, and ensuring that he becomes a free agent next year. The way the posting system works, if a contract isn't worked out within 30 days after the bid is accepted, then the team gets their money back, Matsuzaka goes back to Japan for a year, and becomes a free agent next season. I think the Red Sox made a bid so outrageously high so that they would be assured of winning the bidding process, but I don't expect much legitimate action to go on over the next 30 days. They've kept a great pitcher out of the clutches of the Yankees, and will probably bid furiously on him as a free agent next yeaer, when they don't have to post a fortune just for the right to negotiate. I could be wrong, but I'd be stunned if Matsuzaka becomes a Major League player this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home