Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Saturday, August 04, 2007

It's About Time!

After picking up a nice 3-2 win today over the Indians (in a start where Garza was, shall we say, a bit less than good), the Twins finally took action on Lew Ford, sending him to the minor leagues and calling Carmen Cali back up. Last winter, I argued that Ford should be non-tendered rather than being offered arbitration, and it didn't happen. After he got injured, I hoped the Twins would cut him -- didn't happen. Now, Ford is off of the team, and while he might come back up in September when the rosters expand, I daresay that we are witnessing the end of the Lew Ford era.

While I applaud this decision (the Twins didn't need to carry all of the outfielders that they had on the roster), this move does make me a little annoyed because of the timing. I mentioned in my earlier post on Jeff Cirillo that I thought the Twins could have moved Ford or Luis Rodriguez off of the roster to make room for Michael Cuddyer rather than letting Cirillo go on the waiver claim to the D-Backs, and then worked out a deal with Arizona for Cirillo. Now, just one day later, the team actually did send Ford down. I am usually the last one to criticize Terry Ryan, who I think is a brilliant GM who has one of the most difficult jobs in baseball. Nevertheless, I am going to criticize the timing here six ways to Sunday. Everything here was done backwards. Ford should have been sent down yesterday to make room for Cuddyer, and today should have been dedicated to resolving the situation with Arizona. This was an oversight on the part of TR and the front office staff, and the only reason I'm not that all that angry about is that I don't think Cirillo would have brought much back in return.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At Sun Aug 05, 11:17:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Just heard Stan Cliburn on the Rochester Red Wings pre-game show mention Ford probably joining the club in Pawtucket in time for Monday's game. Cliburn mentioned that they will be working with Ford on his swing mechanics and that he will likely be back with the Twins in September.

    Not good news on Chris Heintz, as he was hit by a pitch a couple of games ago and fractured a bone in his wrist. He may be gone for the season in Rochester and it's touch and go for him being back with the Twins - it depends on how well the wrist heals.

    Tom - Waterport

     
  • At Tue Aug 07, 09:57:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think you missed something:

    1) Arizona was not going to give up a prospect in addition to paying Cirillo's salary and the waiver price. My guess is they didn't even want Cirillo, they just wanted to prevent him from being traded to one of their rivals.

    2) Once the Twins pulled Cirillo back, the window of opportunity to unload him without paying his salary was gone.

    So you can keep your belief in Terry Ryan's brilliance. This actually demonstrates it.

     
  • At Tue Aug 07, 10:01:00 AM , Blogger JST said...

    anon -- your interpretation is interesting and certainly possible. I believe that TR is a very good GM, and you may be right that this demonstrates that. However, the fact that the savings is about $500,000 (not huge money by any means) still makes me wonder whether it was worth it to send Cirillo away when there were other options (such as dumping Ford or Rodriguez) that I would have preferred. I do think that you've made a compelling point, however, and I appreciate the comment.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home