Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Friday, February 23, 2007

Oh, the Horror!

The Strib has posted a couple of things regarding the Twins likely opening day roster, and there is a glaring, horrifying, gaudy problem with what they've posted. Let me quote:

"If the Twins go with 11 pitchers (which is very possible), that leaves nine starters, including DH, and five reserve position players. Clubhouse catalyst Mike Redmond, infielder Jeff Cirillo (who played first, second and third and emergency shortstop for Milwaukee last season), LEW FORD, and Tyner should be locks." (emphasis mine)

Which of these things is not like the other? The biggest problem is that I don't think the Twins are going to take 11 pitchers - I think they're going to go with 12. As a Twins fan, let me ask one question - would you rather have Lew Ford or J.D. Durbin on the team, considering that Durbin is gone if he doesn't get a roster spot? My answer is flat out Durbin - even if he struggles, you can cut ties with him later.

Sadly, I'm forced to conclude that this is probably legitimate - the Twins wouldn't have offered Ford a contract if they didn't intend for him to make the team. If that takes a roster spot away from Durbin, however (assuming of course that he's deserving), that would be a true shame.

Incidentally, there is some questin of whether Ford or Tyner would get the roster spot as the backup outfielder if the Twins went with 12 pitchers. There shouldn't be . . . Tyner has significantly better numbers. Ford has been trending downwards every year. Frankly, this is an easy call (unless Ford has a monster spring or Tyner really struggles). Maybe I'm missing something, but is this really a question?

If someone has a pro-Ford viewpoint, I'd love to hear it. So far, I haven't heard a compelling reason to consider him a lock for the opening day roster. I'd love to hear from anyone who thinks he should be so considered - and I don't want to hear about how good a guy he is - I agree with that sentiment, but don't think that's a good reason for giving someone a spot on a Major League roster.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At Sat Feb 24, 07:22:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'll be very upset if they let Tyner go becasue in my opinion, he has way more to offer than Ford.

     
  • At Mon Feb 26, 08:38:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It is my belief that Tyner will start the year in the minors because although he is a better average hitter than Ford, Lew has a guaranteed contract, can play all defensive positions better than Tyner, has better plate discipline, is more of a base threat, and can hit for more power, albeit 4 more extra base hits last year isn’t earth shattering. Personally, I like Tyner more and hope they trade Lew for a prospect. As you mentioned, Lew just continues to spiral downward even though he has more talent… what a disappointment after that solid 2004 season. I believe Tyner can be sent down without being claimed by another team, as well.

    So regarding your roster, I believe Ford is in instead of Tyner and that Durbin wins the 25th spot.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home