Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Reporting Update

The Strib is reporting that Ramon Ortiz is the only player not to report to camp on time, due to a visa issue. Such situations are by no means unusual for international players, but I've always wondered - when you know you have to report by such-and-such a date, and when these issues are always resolved within a couple of days, why don't players go out of their way to make sure that they get the visa on time? I would be incredibly frustrated if I were a GM.

There is also talk that the Twins and Justin Morneau will continue to negotiate this spring on a long-term deal. While I would be very happy to see a deal done, I don't expect it to happen. Unless Morneau agrees to a bit of an "uncertainty discount," or the Twins just give in to his demands, I don't see the basis for an agreement. Morneau has had one great, MVP-caliber year that was proceeded by disappointing years. While I certainly hope that he continues to produce at his 2006 level, that's not guaranteed. Of course, the game theory involved in this is that the uncertainty cuts both ways, and the Twins might want to get a deal done specifically because Morneau would get much more expensive if he had another great year. It's a tough call, but I trust Terry - and I hope a deal gets done.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At Mon Feb 19, 10:07:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Terry said thaty he isn't worried about Ortiz showing up late because he has heard from people around the league that he stays in good shape.

     
  • At Mon Feb 19, 10:55:00 AM , Blogger JST said...

    I saw that, but I don't know if I buy it. There's more to spring training than just getting in shape, and I guarantee you Ryan (not to mention Rick Anderson, Ron Gardenhire, and Joe Mauer) would like to have him in camp to start working with him. A player who has been terrible for the past two years needs to get to camp as early as possible to give his new coaches a chance to figure out what's wrong and try to improve it. Anyway, I'm sure he'll be in camp in the next few days - but every day missed is unfortunate.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home