Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

M-V-P!!!!

Congratulations to Justin Morneau, who edged out Derek Jeter of the hated Yankees for the 2006 AL MVP. The final vote was 320-306, with David Ortiz finishing a distant third with 193 votes.

I think the voters got this one right - I just was not convinced that Derek Jeter had an MVP caliber year, despite pundits (including Jayson Stark) suggesting that this was Jeter's best year. Even if it was Jeter's best year, the guy isn't entitled to the MVP award, and just because he "had his best year" shouldn't make him the MVP.

I'm frankly a little stunned that Morneau won this thing, but he absolutely deserved it. I analyzed the AL MVP race in this post from back in late September, and I feel vindicated for the analysis I put together.

On the downside - how much money is Morneau going to get now that he's the reigning MVP? Perhaps we should avoid arbitration . . .

1 Comments:

  • At Tue Nov 21, 02:26:00 PM , Blogger Marty said...

    Can't remember if it was Ruesse or not, but one of our local sports pessimists...er...columnists noted that when he was in New York and had asked around to other writers what their ballots looked like, all the New York guys had voted for Morneau. When I heard that I began to believe.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home