Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Playoff Predictions

I had made some predictions on Marty Andrade's blog a few days ago, but that was under the assumption that the Twins would be facing the Yankees in the first round. Here are my revised predictions, and sadly they no longer have the Twins winning the World Series. This is one case where I sincerely hope that I'm wrong:

Division Series
American League
New York Yankees over Detroit Tigers (3-0)
Minnesota Twins over Oakland Athletics (3-1)

National League
New York Mets over Los Angeles Dodgers (3-2)
San Diego Padres over St. Louis Cardinals (3-1)

League Championship Series
American League
New York Yankees over Minnesota Twins (4-2)

National League
San Diego Padres over New York Mets (4-3)

World Series
New York Yankees over San Diego Padres (4-1)

Yeah, I don't like it either. In fact, I hope the Tigers prove me wrong immediately and take the series from the Yankees, thus throwing my predictions completely off kilter. I had the Twins winning a 5 game series against the Yankees, with Santana starting twice. The problem with facing them in the second round is that Santana will still start, at most, 2 games (only 1 if the Twins need him in Game 5 against Oakland), and the crazy offense will have more time to pound the Twins into submission. Sadly, the Yanks are probably going to end that Championship drought that has made me (and so many others) extremely happy this decade.

3 Comments:

  • At Sun Oct 01, 06:34:00 PM , Blogger Marty said...

    Padres over the Mets in 7 games? I find it amazing you think the Mets wouldn't win the pennant, they've been one of the hottest teams in baseball.

     
  • At Sun Oct 01, 07:05:00 PM , Blogger JST said...

    Since August 1, the Mets are 34-24. Not that bad. The Padres in that time span? 33-24. The Mets also have been struggling offensively since they clinched, and it can be tough to shrug off that malaise. Additionally, no Pedro is going to be problematic. I just don't believe the Mets are as good as everyone thinks they are, and I don't see them surviving a pesky Padre team that, as in 1998, will be fodder for the Yankee machine in the World Series.

     
  • At Tue Oct 03, 01:25:00 PM , Blogger The Scribe said...

    With the offensive lineup they bring to the playoffs, I like the Yankees chances, but if Johnson doesn't pitch or isn't effective, they might have a hard time throwing quality pitchers in the ALCS. Twins or A's chances improved dramatically with news of Johnson's herniated disc.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home