Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Notes from the Day

1.) Not the start the Twins would have hoped for out of Matt Garza. Anything, absolutely anything would have been enough in my opinion to secure him the start in Game 4 of the first round. Now, I'm not so sure. The Twins may decide to stick with a veteran considering Garza's track record with nerves. I guess despite what I posted yesterday, I think it's even money on whether the Twins take Silva or Garza, and I think whoever doesn't get taken as the Game 4 starter will be left off the roster in favor of Glen Perkins.

2.) Michael Cuddyer moved into a tie with Gary Gaetti '86 for 17th on the Twins single season RBI list. Two more RBI's would move him into a tie for 14th.

3.) The Tigers have to lose tonight and tomorrow for the Twins to win the division, and the Twins have to do their part tomorrow with a victory if the Tigers do muff things up and lose tonight. I suspect that if the Tigers win tonight, Scott Baker will get the start tomorrow.

4.) I mentioned last night that Jason Kubel hadn't started a game since September 10. That streak ended, but his horrible month did not as he went 0-for-3. The fact that he got a start today probably means that the Twins really would like to have him on the post-season roster, and I still think he'll make the cut. He sure isn't making the decision an easy one, however.

5.) There is still a vague hope for some playoff craziness in the National League. If the Reds win both remaining games, the Cardinals lose both, and the Astros split their two, then the NL Central scenario would begin playing out on Monday. Meanwhile, if the Phillies win both of their remaining games while the Padres and Dodgers lose both of theirs, the NL West/Wild Card scenario would need extra frames.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home