Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Minor League Transaction

Joe Christensen reported in the middle of the game today that the Twins swung a deal with the Washington Nationals, allowing the Nats to keep Rule 5 Draft pick Levale Speigner after they designated him for assignment last week. In exchange for giving up Speigner, the Twins get OF Darnell McDonald, who is a 28-year-old former number 1 pick with the Orioles back in 1997. McDonald rose through the Orioles system between 1998 and 2004, making it to the big leagues in '04 where he struggled in 17 games, hitting .156 in 32 AB's. McDonald split the 2005 season between Indians and Devil Rays AAA teams, and was again at AAA with the D-Rays in 2006. This season, he was hitting .315/.812 in 267 AB's for the Nats AAA squad. Those are pretty good numbers, and the Twins are unquestionably thin in outfield depth at the AAA level, so this is a good trade. However, how much upside does a 28-year-old with 17 games of MLB experience have? This is a good trade for the piece that the Twins gave up (and it really doesn't even feel like giving something up), but don't expect a lot out of McDonald. With the outfield situation as it is, however, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get to the big league level at some point this season.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At Sun Jun 24, 11:15:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Check out this podcast http://www.blogtalkradio.com/hostpage.aspx?show_id=13108
    Why did you stop?

     
  • At Sun Jun 24, 11:47:00 PM , Blogger JST said...

    Mostly, because I prefer to communicate my thoughts through words. If I were to have continued with a regular Blog Talk Radio podcast, it would have taken time away from this blog -- and unfortunately, time is not something I have as much of as I used to.

    I never made that first podcast available because it was in pretty rough form, and I was just messing around -- it's kind of interesting hearing it again several months later!

     
  • At Sun Jun 24, 11:48:00 PM , Blogger JST said...

    You can tell it's late -- some of my thoughts on my first comment weren't that coherent -- I think ya'll understand what I'm saying, though.

     
  • At Mon Jun 25, 11:50:00 AM , Blogger Josh Johnson said...

    Thanks JT. I've been reading your blog a lot lately. Love the work you do.

    Josh

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home