Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Monday, March 12, 2007

First List of Cuts

UPDATE: The Twins website has posted where the players who were cut today have been placed. I've updated the post to reflect that, and also mentioned whether I was right on the placement of the three players who were assigned to a particular team. Now on to the original post:

I was either right on the money with my prediction of WHEN the first cuts would come, or missed it by just a hair. Either way, I underestimated the number of cuts that were forthcoming, and I got some of the names wrong. Here's the full list, courtesy of La Velle.

P - Ricky Barrett (optioned to AAA)
P - Alexander Smit (optioned to High A)
P - Brad Voyles (minor league camp)
P - Oswaldo Sosa (optioned to AA)

C - Jose Morales (minor league camp)
C - Jeff Christy (minor league camp)
C - Korey Feiner (minor league camp)

IF - Gil Velazquez (minor league camp)

None of these names are that strange, but I'm just a tad surprised that three catchers were already cut. That leaves Mauer and Redmond, of course, as well as Chris Heintz and Brad King in camp.

Also, I assume that all of these guys have just been sent over to the minor league camp, but if anyone (I'm particularly thinking of Brad Voyles) was actually "cut" as in "released," then I'll update that once I find out about it. Now we can wait for round two of cuts, which should be a good deal more interesting.

So, how about my predictions? Three-for-three so far. I had Barrett in Rochester and Smit in Ft. Myers, and I had Sosa cross-listed between New Britain and Ft. Myers. So, I guess an argument could be made that I have 2.5 instead of 3 right . . . I'll give myself the benefit of the doubt.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At Mon Mar 12, 11:39:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    One important thing to remember as well though, is that players on the 40 man roster who are sent 'down' to minor league camp can not pitch in a major league spring training game this year again. However, the other guys, the non-roster invites can still play in major league spring games. So really for the catchers in particular (as none of on the 40 man), they could still play in games, but they will now have a lot more people to catch in minor league camp!

    SethSpeaks.net

     
  • At Mon Mar 12, 11:46:00 AM , Blogger JST said...

    This is true . . . but I'm not guessing that many of the guys who are cut will get much time to play in Major League spring games again. Maybe Morales.

     
  • At Mon Mar 12, 12:32:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Probably not. I mean, the catchers will likely be catching half-games at this point, so the starter and a backup, and then maybe one minor leaguer on the bench for just in case.

    SethSpeaks.net

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home