Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Monday, June 09, 2008

Updating a Few Things

I'm going to take one more night off from posting a true "Nightly Notes" column, for a couple of reasons -- I was at work during the game today, and don't have a lot to say about it; and also, I'm still frustrated (like most of you are!) with the results of the Chicago series. Consider this an abbreviated version of a normal NN post.

1.) In case you haven't checked out the rather lively comments section of my previous post, I suggest you do. Reader TT and I went back and forth numerous times on my suggestion that Juan Rincon was, essentially, worthless to the team, and that the team was making a mistake carrying 13 pitchers. I, at least, think it makes for an interesting read that provides two vastly different views of the situation.

2.) My prediction that Rincon would be off the team by tomorrow appears to be dead wrong. The Twins seem to want to make a move with Rincon, but don't feel justified pulling the trigger with the options available in Rochester. Brian Buscher, who I had predicted would be getting a callup, is apparently suffering through a minor injury and is rather limited in what he can do right now, making it extremely unlikely that he'll be called up. It looks the team will continue to move forward with the roster constituted as it has been for the last few days.

3.) Still no word on any draft signings, but we can't be more than a few days away from a wave of announcements. Top pick Aaron Hicks needs to finish high school before he can be signed, but I expect some of the college guys who aren't participating in the college world series to be signed fairly quickly.

4.) Congrats to Ken Griffey, Jr. on hitting #600 tonight. For some reason, he was never a player that I liked all that much. Nonetheless, he's clearly a first ballot Hall of Famer, and I respect him more now than I did when I (and he) was younger. I hope he can stay in the game for a few more years and shoot for 700, but we'll see what happens.

5.) One last thought -- four games ago, I thought the Twins were over-achieving. Today, after a series in which they fell back to Earth rather quickly, I'm disappointed. This is a somewhat illogical position to take, isn't it? If they were over-achieving before, these losses should have put them about where they "belong," or where I thought they belonged at the beginning of the year. Shouldn't I sort of be neutral, then? Anyway, it's interesting how the way you view a season can change in a span of four short days. Funny game, baseball.

6.) Oh yeah -- in case I haven't said it enough, go KG! Get that elusive championship!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home