Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Monday, July 23, 2007

Nightly Notes: Game #99

Yech -- not a good way to start a roadtrip (or to return to blogging), as the Twins suffered a rough 6-4 loss against the Blue Jays tonight. Here are my short notes (didn't get to watch the game, yet again):

1.) Johan Santana is human after all in the second half of the season. The usually flawless one gave up 6 runs on 7 hits and 2 walks over 5 innings (but at least he kept up his streak of starts of at least 5 innings). It's just an anomaly, I'm sure, but the Twins need Santana to be nearly flawless if they're going to catch up to Cleveland or Detroit.

2.) Rondell White's return was . . . well . . . a bit raw. I'm sad to say that I'm with the group (the very, very large group) of people that don't think Rondell is going to do much for this team. Of course, I said that last year -- and he came back pretty strong, playing a key role for the Twins down the stretch. This time, things feel very, very different. Hopefully he'll make me eat crow like he did last year.

3.) Justin Morneau already has 28 homeruns -- remember when Twins couldn't hit 30 in a season? Yeah, he's making me forget that, too.

4.) I feel that it's important to note that one Nick Punto went 2-for-3 today. How sad that this is noteworthy.

5.) Having Jason Tyner's arm in right field makes me awfully nervous -- again, I didn't get a chance to watch the game, so I don't know if this was a problem or not, but the difference between Cuddyer and Tyner in right field is tremendous.

6.) It's not Twins related, but I want to say that the Michael Vick situation is remarkably dramatic. I just read that NFL Commish Roger Goodell has told Vick not to report to camp, and I can't imagine a scenario in which Vick puts on a uniform in 2007. The NFL cannot win in this situation, because a significant number of people will think the wrong decision is being made no matter what is done. I find what Vick is accused of to be tasteless and wrong, and fully support laws against the barbaric act that is dog fighting. At the same time, I firmly believe that Vick deserves a chance to demonstrate his innocence. I couldn't serve on his jury, because based on what I've read, I believe he's guilty -- but he should have his chance to prove otherwise. I understand why the NFL is taking pre-emptive action, and considering that Vick will continue earning his paycheck, I don't think he has much of a complaint against the NFL. I still wonder whether this is a good decision by the NFL, and whether Roger Goodell's league might be heading down a very troublesome road. Honestly, though, I don't envy Goodell -- as I said before, there is not a good way to handle this situation. It will be very interesting to see how this develops -- and it won't be going away for a very long time.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At Tue Jul 24, 10:19:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, although Punto and Tnyer hit, they made stupid base running mistakes to cost the Twins of a big inning.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home