Taylor's Twins Talk

Focusing on the Twins, with a few ramblings on other things that catch my attention

Monday, August 27, 2007

Some perspective is needed, methinks . . .

This is going to be a very short post in which I throw my hands up in the air and scream "whaaaaa?". The news world has had a busy day, with a couple of fairly major stories both breaking -- the story of Michael Vick pleading guilty to charges stemming from his rather foolish dogfighting operation, and the story of Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez resigning.

Now, I have no doubt that I'm in a bit of a bubble on this, being a law student. I rather naturally tend to regard law related issues as noteworthy -- and also being a politics junky, I tend to view major political news as noteworthy. Despite these biases, I don't think I'm wrong in saying that the story of an embattled AG unexpectedly resigning trumps the story of an athlete, even a very, very good athlete, pleading guilty -- especially when everyone already knew on Friday that a plea deal had been reached. Nonetheless, CNN and MSNBC have both chosen to highlight the Vick story as "The Major Story" of the day.

To me, this is a senseless decision -- on par with the nonstop coverage of Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, and Paris Hilton which shamefully muck up the prime spots on the major news outlets' websites. Am I wrong? Is Vick's plea really bigger news than the resignation of the AG? Or is this just another example of the MSM (mainstream media) getting something horribly wrong? I'll note for the record that The Drudge Report (which, love him or hate him, is an absolutely crucial stop for me about 10 times a day, without which I would not receive a lot of my news) has the AG story splashed in red type at the top of his page. At least some news sources have their priorities straight.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home